I make this recipe about once or twice a fortnight (14 days) using up the remainder of a roast chicken dinner.
It’s quick, easy and uses leftovers so it’s cheap to make.
All recipes I make are for 2 people, myself and my son, just double or quadruple the quantities if you need to feed more.
- 1/2 a roast chicken (shredded)
- 50 grams of butter
- 50 grams of flour (about 4 tablespoons) and I use whatever i can reach, both self raising and plain work.
- about 1 – 1.5 cups of milk.
- 2 handfuls of grated Cheddar cheese (I use Mainland Tasty Cheddar Cheese)
- 1 handful of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 lemon
- Optional extras (half an onion)
- Shred the chicken by pulling it off the chicken carcass and shredding it apart with your fingers. You can do this in between whilst you are waiting for the mornay sauce to cook.
- Put 50 grams of butter into a heat proof dish (I use my pyrex jug) and put into the microwave for 1 minute on high, I use the auto settings of 30 seconds, 1 and 2 minutes for this recipe.
- Add the flour and mix to combine it well. It should go to a thick sauce. Put it in the microwave to cook for 1 minute until it’s all combined and doesn’t smell floury anymore. Put it in for another 30 seconds if you aren’t sure.
- Add the milk (put in 1 cup to start with) and mix with the flour and butter mixture. Make sure it is mixed well and there are no gluggy bits on the side. Give it 30 seconds, then stir, and put it in for another 30 seconds until you have your basic white sauce. If it’s too thick, add some more milk.
- Add the tasty cheese and 1/2 the parmesan and mix well. Put back into the microwave for another minute, stir again and then 30 seconds. Again if it’s too thick, add a bit more milk. The cheese sauce is done.
- Get an oven proof dish, I shred the chicken straight into it, add the onions if you want them. Give them a quick fry to soften them up a bit though I do throw them in raw. Add a quarter of the parmesan cheese, pour in the cheese sauce, squeeze in some lemon juice and mix it all together. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese over the top to make a crust.
- Put it in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius for about 15 – 30 minutes (you are really only heating it all together and getting that nice crusty top) and there you have it, Chicken Mornay for dinner.
Hope you enjoy it.